School Bus Safety Tips
The following checklist will help you teach your child and family how to be safe on around school buses:
- Due to Covid 19, schools may be requiring students to mask up before they get on the bus.
- Arrive at the bus stop 5 minutes early to avoid being rushed or careless.
- Stand at least five giant steps (10 feet) away from the road while waiting for the school bus.
- Wait until the bus has completely stopped and the doors are open before approaching.
- Sit quietly as not to distract the bus driver.
- Remember, all drivers must stop for the bus when the red warning lights are flashing and when the “STOP” sign is out. Drivers should never attempt to pass a bus.
- When exiting the bus, immediately take 10 giant steps straight out the door. Do not walk behind the school bus and make sure the bus driver can see you at all times.
- Ask the bus driver for help to pick up anything that falls under the bus.
- To cross the street while getting on and off the school bus:
- Stop and listen.
- Look left, right, then left again.
- Look behind and all around you.
- Keep looking for cars as you cross the street.
Talk to your children and family about the importance of being safe in and around school buses.
Back to News & Info